26 novembre 2007

that which I had always only felt or suspected or been told

"How flight happens - for birds, insects, people - has always occupied me. My understanding of it was limited to theory; my empirical proof was based on deduction, and a few sensations - a hand out the car window, or on the controls of an airplane - that provided me with tangible evidence that the air was out there doing the things the theoreticians said. This technology, Digital Particle Image Velocimetry, has been much more that an analytical tool; it is providing me with the powerful experience of seeing that which I had always only felt or suspected or been told. In that such experiences are the intent of the filmmaker's art, my colleagues and I are pleased to share the artistry of the rufous hummingbird."
-- Douglas R. Warrick
via Invisible Cinema

2 commentaires:

jmac a dit…

So beautiful! :) I think that Doug Warrick really describes something almost too extraordinary for description. Be sure to read the Nature paper too . . .

woolgathersome a dit…

Very nice... Thanks for this post*